Mercury & Dementia:
Does Dental Mercury Increase Alzheimer's?
About ten years ago, I found myself in a researcher's frenzy mode, and decided I was hearing useless nonsense from most dentist's on this issue. I felt my local music teacher knew more than the dentists I asked. These sincere but poorly read local dentists sent me fluffy dental ADA articles that looked like they were written by a political speech writer with no science content, or a high school student writing a 9th grade biology paper.
So, because I am pathetic, I decided to read the thousands of articles on dental mercury. My conclusion?
- Studies looking at fluids such as blood, saliva and urine the results seemed to go both ways on health risk. Of course we generally feel someone playing Russian roulette with a 50% chance of death, a suicidal person. But who am I to question the great ADA, the Pennsylvania State Dental Board, and the insurance companies happy with cheap fillings.
- The studies that exposed animals and then sacrificed them, such as rats, minks, primates, lambs and other mammals seemed to show something very serious. The organs had higher levels and levels that concerned me.
Perhaps since metals fall out of solution in fluids in the same way a fork falls to the bottom of a glass, the mercury was moving quickly into tissue.
A month later, I had all my candy created cavities replaced at my sizable expense. Blues Cross and Blue Shield had determined that if you replaced over 2 fillings a year, it was often due to "mercury removal," and apparently they were supportive of mercury.
The other day, I was shopping over dozens of Alzheimer's theories and innovations from dozens of sites, and came across this material.
[Mercury] is ... the major culprit of Alzheimer's and dementia today ...
- "The maximum amount of mercury that the Environment Protection Agency allows people to be exposed to is 5,000 times smaller than the permissible amount of lead exposure; in other words the EPA apparently considers mercury to be 5,000 times more toxic than lead."
Marcia Basciano DDS at annual meeting of IAOMT san Diego 1994."
So where does this mercury come from?
- "Scientists have shown that trace amounts of mercury can cause the type of damage to nerves that is characteristic of the damage found in Alzheimer's disease. The level of mercury exposure used in the test was well below those levels found in many humans with mercury/silver amalgam dental fillings. The research conducted at the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine found that exposure to mercury caused the formation of "neurofibrillar tangles," which are one of the two diagnostic markers for Alzheimer's disease. Previous research has shown that mercury can cause the formation of the other Alzheimer's disease marker, "amyloid plaques." The scientists also exposed the test nerves to other elements, including aluminum, but found that only mercury caused the damage consistent with Alzheimer's disease."
Dental amalgam, the silver fillings dentists' use, is by far the biggest culprit of mercury poisoning and the biggest reason for Alzheimer's and dementia in the world today.
- "Worldwide there are over 4000 research papers indicating mercury is a highly toxic substance. How can dentists be so thoughtless as to place one of the deadliest toxins in existence "two" inches from our brain?"
Tom Warren (www.whale.to/a/toxic_dentistry.html)
We see the same mentality of dentists that we saw with cancer in my "Introduction to Alternative Cancer Treatments Article"
- "You wouldn't take a leaky thermometer, put it in your mouth, and leave it there 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Yet that's exactly what happens when an amalgam filling is installed in your mouth."
Dr Michael Ziff (www.whale.to/a/toxic_dentistry.html)
Just how much mercury do dentists put into your mouth?
- "Dr. Richard D. Fischer, a practicing dentist in Annandale, VA and past president of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, gave his testimony before Congress on November 14, 2002. Dr. Fischer has published numerous scientific papers and in 1998 was listed in Who's Who in Medicine and Health Care. These are excerpts from his testimony:
"Dental amalgam (‘silver') fillings contribute more mercury to the body burden in humans than all other sources (dietary, air, water, vaccines, etc.) combined. These fillings contain 50% mercury – which is more neurotoxic than lead, cadmium, or even arsenic.
To put this in perspective, the amount of mercury contained in one average size filling exceeds the U.S. E.P.A. standard for human exposure for over 100 years. Put in other terms, it takes only _ gram of mercury (the amount in one filling) to contaminate all fish in a 10-acre lake."
Dental amalgam is clearly one source of mercury, as is fish, but there are other sources. This is a quote relative to both mercury and aluminum:
- "According to Hugh Fudenberg, MD (https://members.aol.com/nitrf), the world's leading immunogeneticist and 13th most quoted biologist of our times (nearly 850 papers in peer review journals), if an individual has had five consecutive flu shots between 1970 and 1980 (the years studied) his/her chances of getting Alzheimer's Disease is ten times higher than if they had one, two or no shots. I asked Dr. Fudenberg why this was so and he said it was due to the mercury and aluminum that is in every flu shot (and most childhood shots). The gradual mercury and aluminum buildup in the brain causes cognitive dysfunction."
BECAUSE OF THE POWER OF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES, STATE DENTAL BOARDS, AND THE POLITICAL INFLUENCES OF THE ADA, I CANNOT OPPOSE OR SUPPORT THE MATERIALS ABOVE.
SINCE THIS IS STILL A FAIRLY FREE COUNTRY, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE AUTHOR FOR THE PERMISSION TO OFFER ONE OF HIS "CAUSES" OF ALTZHEIMER'S DISEASE. IF HE IS RIGHT IN ONLY 2% OF THE AMERICAN CASES, IT IS WORTH CONSIDERING HIS POINT.
WITH MY THANKS TO CANCER TUTOR AT: