Home Mold Double's Asthma Risk in Children
In the journal Environmental Health Perspectives, Dr. Jaakkola followed the respiratory health of approximately 2,000 Finnish children. They were only aged 1 to 7. They were followed for over six years.
About 7% or 138 of the children went on to develop asthma during the study period.
In summarizing the long study, Jaakkola said, "These findings strengthen evidence that exposure to molds increases the risk of developing asthma in childhood."
The study found that home mold smells increased the children's risk of asthma, independent of their parents' medical histories.
"This study is important for families everywhere. Anyone with young children in the home should be aware of the potentially harmful effects of long-term exposure to mold and this potential link to asthma in children," Dr. Jim Burkhart, science editor for Environmental Health Perspectives commented.
The bottom line: mold in homes doubles the risk a child will develop asthma.