This article talks about the benefits of Lexapro. However, Lexapro, like every other antidepressant, is usually started at too-high a dose. We suggest 1/4 of a 10 mg. tablet at least 3 days before moving to 1/2 of a tablet (5 mg.).
Celexa and LexaproA Continuing Education Lecture for Doctors
vs. Regular SSRI's
Lexapro Superiority is
a Very Serious Look For Major Depression
- Drug Interaction's kill during suicides and routine medication use. Lexapro has the lowest interactions of all SSRI"s including Zoloft. Interaction materials are merely fair. None are fully reliable. Yet jury's think interactions are always the physician's fault, and if they occur are due to carelessness and "not caring."
- All SSRI's cause akathisia, EPS, TD, Dystonia and EPS. Celexa and Lexapro have no reports of these problems. Disparity of cases is not due to difference in articles, e.g., Celexa/Lexapro have more publications than Sertraline (Zoloft).
- Anxiety is a massive independent risk factor for suicide. Depression already has a suicide rate of 15/100. Lexapro and Celexa have the lowest onset anxiety rate, the lowest akathisia rate and the fastest anxiety reductions.
- Paroxetine and Fluoxetine have Non-Linear Kinetics, so you also have "surprise" Non-Linear Interactions.
- All hormones, drugs and toxins require internal liver detox substances to remove them. EPA 1986 Adipose tissue study showed all of us have at least 5 major toxins in our fat. Obviously average people are failing at removing dangerous substances. One liver detox agent, glutathione, is used up by mere Tylenol. Chemotherapy empties the liver of detox agents. Lexapro is pure select isomer and only usable medication -- less of a liver load. Allowing the liver to remove more serious substances.
- Weight gain with Lexapro vs. Other SSRI's:
- Paxil has meaningful weight gain.
- Other medications which increase norepinephine appear to increase glucose levels and increase insulin resistance.
- Anxiety onset symptoms or under-treated anxiety increases eating as a coping mechanism.
- Increased anxiety is a key feature of PMS/PDD and Perimenopause. All are characterized, in part, by decreased natural progesterone. Decreased progesterone increases anxiety (GABA) and increases pain (via 2 pain networks). Therefore, if one is committed to an SSRI for these problems it should be Lexapro—lowest onset anxiety, fast decrease in anxiety and no known akathisia.
- Lexapro does not interact with over a 100 important receptors.
Copyright © 2003 James L. Schaller, MD, MAR