Dr James Schaller
main page books and articles schaller health creed facebook testimonies search
menu main page what's new second opinion new patient meet doctor schaller location, travel


Algae in many lakes emit a toxin that can make you sick

Harmful algae blooms producing a toxin that can make people and pets sick have formed in Lake Jackson, Lake Munson and Piney Z Lake, according to a new report.

But why is this a surprise? Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, a top Maryland biotoxin expert, had already shown that many Florida lakes had killed off many types of safe algae and these lakes were increasingly filled with biotoxin making algae. Since he had been a top expert and research and award winning family doctor dealing with this issue in Maryland waterways, one would think he would be respected. He was fully ignored and blown off due to ignorance. Of course anything that is not from the 1980's simplistic Florida Department of Health and other waterway agencies is ignored.

So now we have more sickness producing lakes.

Shoemaker has discovered from research with vast thousands of patients, that some patients and water lovers are susceptible to these algae toxins. Simply, they might not be able to enjoy these lakes again. Shoemaker is one of them. In a short time, boating in some Florida Central lakes makes him severely ill. Do not be put at ease because his reaction is greater than yours. He is a top world biotoxin expert, and has intentionally exposed himself to massive biotoxins all over the United States. He is primed. His reaction is the reaction many Floridians will have over time on these lakes.

McGlynn Laboratories, which has been testing lakes for the county, has found that levels of a toxin called microcystin are 27 times higher than World Health Organization drinking-water thresholds in Lake Munson and 10 times higher in Lake Piney Z.

"This is the last stage in the life cycle of a lake," he said. "It's very hard to get them to turn back. This is not what you want to see in a lake."

The blooms can form quickly because of pollutants, light and temperature. Swimming in water with the blooms can cause a skin rash, runny nose and watery eyes, and drinking the water can cause vomiting, diarrhea and liver problems. Also, invasive apple snails that can carry harmful parasites are thriving in the blooms.

Some brief quotes from an article published May 19, 2006 By Jeff Burlew DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

For more information on biotoxins go to:



Bank Towers, Tamiami Trail, Naples, FL
disclaimer privacy