Take 5 Minutes to Save Yourself
From Prostate Cancer
This is the lazy man's guide. So miss a few commercials and perhaps save your life. Perhaps you will save your husband or friend's life. Prostate cancer is the most common male cancer in the USA. Treatments are fair and leave problems.
- Selenium 200 micrograms/day has been shown to be protective. Do not get lower doses since the gut absorbs it poorly. Get a "chelated" type or a type in which selenium is attached to an amino acid like methionine—tricking the gut into better absorption. Studies show low selenium is associated with higher prostate cancer. Selenium may prevent cancer growth signals.
- Vitamin E further reduces prostate cancer risk. Take 400 IU's or one per day. (If on blood thinners discuss with doctor first and certainly tell them). Use natural vitamin E only and one that is a "mixed" form. If the store has no idea what this means – flee! One option is to hit my wholesale nutrient button on the home page or at the top of this page. Like selenium, Vitamin E catches the bullets or sparks which are made in the cell when it makes energy – preventing damage and cancer.
- If you have any extra gut or belly weight, take DIM or Indoplex as directed on bottle, which comes from plants and appears to decrease a specific type of cancerous estrogen made by fat.
- When you get to be 40 years old, many men start to have declining testosterone. Rarely this occurs in the 30's. Have your free testosterone blood level checked. The "free" tells you how much is really usable. In my opinion, natural bio-identical testosterone prevents prostate cancer. But once you already have the cancer, testosterone promotes it.
- Your doctor is wise to check your PSA level and to feel your prostate. One does not replace the other.
Many other things may help you, but I promised "5 minutes" and the commercials are done.
Wishing you a long and healthy life!
James L. Schaller, MD, MAR, PC