Dr James Schaller
main page books and articles schaller health creed facebook testimonies search
menu main page what's new second opinion new patient meet doctor schaller location, travel

Indoor Mold in Ft. Lauderdale:
More Than a Sneeze

One of the problems with indoor mold is that it is much more serious than outdoor mold. In the outdoors, there are tens of thousands of species and none gets a good foothold or has an easy time making spores. Those that can make biotoxins are lucky if able to fend off other competitors to make even small amounts.

Yet in a humid indoor setting, and it need only be very humid or wet inside for 3 days, select molds readily grow and can directly make people ill. One way they cause sickness is by making biotoxins that pass from cell to cell with great ease -- altering DNA and hurting folks.

Here are samples of reports from Ft. Lauderdale, right across Alligator Alley where I work. These types of complaints are a reason some folks pop across I-75 to see me.

*****

Here is one comment on a famous hotel:

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The room smelled like mold [and] ... the street noise was just too loud. I could not sleep. The rooms & bed are very old. The rooms need updating and my god, the mold smell was just awful ... [The] carpet was old and dirty ...

In this example from Ft. Lauderdale the mold was obvious. And the patrons left promptly. But often mold can be found in the air of a spotless home, school, or building. And do not assume you will be able to smell indoor toxic mold. And it is not so easy to leave or change your exposure. Though in some cases mold toxins can be bound by different means to help someone handle slight exposure.

*****

Ann works with a respected company in Ft. Lauderdale.

About three months after a water leak in the roof of her floor, she began to feel uncomfortable at work. First, it was a subtle brain fog and fatigue. Then her memory became reduced. The company and the owners had "inspectors come in" and they said everything was fine. But when she had a sample of her own vacuum dust and air duct dust sent for analysis, there were toxic forms of mold. So much for the "inspectors."

*****

Andrew just started at respected private school.

In the beginning of this school year, he was having trouble following directions and in an "ill mood" according to his teacher, who runs a "tight class." His parents noticed he seemed to be less content and more moody. He tells them they are too loud and seems to exaggerate physical contact at times. His sleep is less settled, and he wants to have more time with his mother, and to come into his parent's bed. He had stopped this behavior three years ago and even then it was occasional.

He was found to have a depressed alpha MSH, and increased MMP-9 and C3a. His DNA studies showed a vulnerability to mold spores. His parents shared these labs and other results with his pediatrician and allergist. They had no idea what I was talking about.

He is getting better. He was home schooled for 6 weeks and is in a new school. He hated the school anyway. It certainly was an extreme solution, and certainly not always needed. But after the mother tested the cleaner's vacuum dust, she found illness-promoting mold -- not the routine stuff one finds outdoors. The parents spoke with their pediatrician and allergist about these results and my labs, and they apparently had no real reply. The lively mother told them to send any others like her son to me, and to please buy my mold book. She is actually quite funny. But most importantly, their son is improving and acting like the son they had years ago. I just saw a picture of him, and one could not notice that he was happier. Good for him and his loving sacrificial parents!

To Your Health!

Dr. J



Bank Towers, Tamiami Trail, Naples, FL
disclaimer privacy