Dr James Schaller
main page books and articles schaller health creed facebook testimonies search
menu main page what's new second opinion new patient meet doctor schaller location, travel

NEW MOLD ADVENTURES FOR AN ELECTRICIAN:
GOING FROM NEW HOMES TO RENOVATIONS
HAD HIDDEN MOLD SURPRISES

Mitch is a fine electrician and had worked most of his career in new home construction. He was healthier than most horses. And almost never had a cold. But his wife noticed he was different in the last three years. I asked about his occupation, and then asked about the specifics of his current job sites. I learned that he had only done new homes and buildings for about 15 years. And then he had started doing older homes and renovation work. After a season of this type of work, he had some indigestion. The acid blockers and Tums helped for a little while, but then they did nothing.

Eventually a gastrointestinal expert scoped him, and found erosions in his esophagus and stomach. No one was entirely sure of the cause. He was offered a number of medications that did not seem to help.

His wife also reminded him of the psoriasis that he had on his knees and hands. He also had some spots on his legs and back that had been biopsied three times. They never can back cancer, but the dermatology options did not fix it. And alternative progressive options also failed.

When I asked if he ever crawled, he mentioned he does a good deal of work in attics and has to crawl when wiring in attics.

Here was a healthy man with no trouble. He starts working on old and renovated homes. Electricians deal with the escape of mold from behind the drywall as it escapes out electrical outlets, and as they thread wire through the dusty moldy inner wall chambers. Mold like this is rare in very new construction because the dry wall is not even up when the wiring is done. He was regularly in attics that have humidity over 65%, often have leaks, and have cardboard boxes and other mold favorites.

He had some testing done and we found clear mold exposure lab changes, most likely from his new moldy home jobs. And the rashes and skin changes are common when mold dust hits your hands. That is why when a certified mold remediator like me, has to remove a wall, they put on serious gear, including serious double gloves. They also prevent mold toxin dust from entering their nose, throat or mouth, with a full-enclosed face piece and external breathing device like a diver.

Mitch was getting mold dust in his nose, mouth and throat and swallowing it. The mold toxins were burning holes in his esophagus and stomach.

Best,

Dr. J



Bank Towers, Tamiami Trail, Naples, FL
disclaimer privacy